Sunday, September 18, 2016
World Cup of Hockey: Canada is already in prime form
Shortly after Team Europe upset the US in the first on Saturday Ice Hockey World Championship match, tournament favorite Canada took care of business with a 6-0 victory over the Czech Republic. Here are five of these foods at home games:
1. Canadians who we thought they were: It does not matter what year it is, or that it is a tournament, or whether it's autumn, winter or spring, Canadians are going to have an impressive list. They looked fast, experienced and confident against the Czechs. They flick the switch when the tournament begins, and they play their nation expects them to play.
2. Knee Carey Price not alarming: play his first meaningful game since last November, the Montreal Canadiens goalie was flexible and efficient. Price looked like he did during his MVP season of 2014-15 early, when he was forced to make a save on a nifty boot redirection Ondřej Chambers in. The price was not too tested the Czechs. But his previous knee injury, did not seem to cause him any difficulty: "It was definitely nice to kick one in the first minute," Price said, "You kind of start to feel good and just kind of let them roll.".
3. Sidney Crosby is still the boss: Crosby scored the gold medal in Canada's game against Sweden in 2014, and he potted the overtime game winner in the 2010 Vancouver Games against the US on Saturday, he registered a goal and two assists for five rounds. He was dominant. The choice wingers for Crosby always easy. But he seems comfortable with Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand. "I think the chemistry clicked immediately," said Bergeron. "I'm just trying to read what (Crosby) is going to do. It is, as a rule, always one step ahead of everyone. So what about reading that and making sure that I'm in a position to help."
4. Depth Canada is staggering: Benn, Duncan Keith and Jeff Carter pulled out before training camp began, and Seguin suffered a fracture of the heel during the pre-tournament games. Claude Giroux is nursing an injury and was scratched against the Czech Republic. Canada has an infinite amount of talent. This team may lose the entire line of Crosby, and is still considered the favorite.
5. Americans know the way: Americans not only have to beat Canada on Tuesday that they have to do it in Toronto. Canadians are 'A'reytingovoy team at the center, wing, defense, network and behind the bench. US will have to play an almost perfect game. Czechs, number 4 teams in the group will stand in the way of the way of America to qualify for the medal round.